Friday, June 26, 2009

6/26/04-6/26/09

Friday Randy & I celebrated 5 years of being married to each other. Except that we have not really celebrated it yet. We had Riley's birthday party on Saturday. Then the kids left to spend the next week with Grandma Karyn & Aunt Kalee in Florida, so we will celebrate it a little later.
In honor of us actually making it to 5 years without killing each other, I wanted to think back to those early days and how it all started. Some of you know this story quite well, to others it will surprise you of how romantic my husband has the capability of being.
For starters, Randy and I met at A&M. I was dating a friend of his from high school. They were both in the corps and lived in the same dorm. We never dated in college, just did many of the same events and would see each other from time to time. After college, in Dec. 01, we met up again at an Aggie Happy Hour. My best friend, Teresa, and I were hanging out and talking with that same ex-boyfriend and his group of friends. Sean and I dated for 2 years in college, so I got pretty close with many of his friends. We were just hanging out, no intentions of getting back together with my ex, but I thought several of his friends were pretty cute. Here is a funny part, Sean and I were dancing and I asked him if his friends were still off limits to me. He said no, but Randy was! I never did find out why he said that. Long story short, Randy and I ended up hooking up that night and he called me the next morning. Aggie Happy Hours take place on Wednesday nights and we had stayed until the bar closed. Randy knew that he and I were the only ones of the group that had to be up that early for work. When he called me, he said, "Good Morning Beautiful!" The night before that song had come on and I told Teresa that I would marry the guy that said that to me. Well I guess I did.
We were together non-stop from that point on. In June, we decided to buy a house together. In July, we went to the Grand Canyon and Vegas together. I was really hoping that he would propose then, but he did not. Randy did not actually propose until Oct. 4, 2003, a full year later. By then, I was getting so frustrated and wondering if he was ever going to marry me. One of our big activities is the Rennaissance faires. That was opening weekend of the faire. Randy and Chuck, one of one Randy's friends from high school, had gone down to Houston to get set up for the faire early on Friday. Then Jenn, his wife, and I drove down as soon as I finished with school. The whole way there I complained that I was just going to leave Randy if he did not propose THAT weekend. Poor Jenn knew all along that he already had the ring with him. But she never let on.
Randy had really prepared it all out. He wanted me to wear my ivory colored Renn dress. I did wear it that morning. But then the shop owner that we bought Randy's armor from, let me borrow this women's armor piece for parade. I was loving the attention and didn't want to take it off. So we went to go shopping. We walked by the Renn Faire chapel just as a wedding finished. The chapel looked so pretty and I wanted to take pictures on the alter. The fact that Randy agreed should have been my first clue. So we took our first picture together and then Randy turned to me and said, "You know what is coming don't you?" I told him if he was messing with me, I was going to kill him. He wasn't. He got down and one knee and asked me to marry him. I started crying. I was so excited. The rest of the day became a blur mixed with too many Green dragon drinks. I was telling everyone I was engaged, even perfect strangers.

Since we were supposed to be taking pictures, it worked out perfectly that our friends had our camera in their hands. By the time we walked out of the chapel, all of our Faire friends were gathered at the back. Randy had told them all when to be there. I couldn't believe he had done such a good job of giving me a perfect story.


Our Honeymoon in Negril, Jamaica

I got a stomach virus on our honeymoon and was really sick. So the beer in my hand is actually staged. No drinking for me at Margaritaville.

In October 2004, at Randy's cousin's wedding in Florida.

Our bi-yearly passion is Nascar. Of course, our wedding reception was at the Texas Motor Speedway club. It started with us just going out on Sunday for the Nascar race. Now it is a whole weekend thing that involves camping out and a big party. Randy's driver is Carl Edwards #99 and mine is Kasey Kahne #9.

Playa Del Carmen, Mexico at Amy & Dion's wedding, April 2007
Our first major life change was Riley, our adorable redhead that was born 1 year and 2 days after we were married, I literally went into labor on our one year anniversary!

5 years after he proposed, we took pictures at the same spot in our new costumes.


Oh, how our lives have changed. Now we have 2 beautiful children, and barely make it once a year to faire.


At an 80's party in February 2009


This is how we do Faire now when we take the kids. No costumes. Just mundanes.

No comments: