Friday, June 18, 2010

Vacation Bible School 2010

This year's VBS was Out of this World. Literally our theme was Galatic Blast: A Cosmic Adventure to God. We, (Riley, Alex, Nana, Gampa, & I) had a fun, but exhausting week. Our director this year was in my sunday school class, so I knew I was doomed from the start. This year I took on Recreation Coordinator for the elementary age kids. We have around 300 kids attend VBS every year. This was a really different role than what I have done in the past, but I thoroughly enjoyed playing the games and working with 8 different dynamic youth. The bad thing was I spent more time preparing for each day's activities than I did the whole last month of school!
This is Riley's really small kindergarten class. My mom was his shepherd. This was the first time in 20 years that my mom has done VBS, but we talked her into it. It started with me talking dad into doing it last year after vbs. Several members of their sunday school class had participated, so I convinced Dad to try it. After all, he is retired. My dad had a group of 3rd graders, that included many of my kids from last year.
During the week, the little ones of the VBS workers can also attend. So this was Alex's group, the Talkers.

Then Thursday night, they have a program and the kids sing several of the songs that they have learned that week. Riley's age sang in the first two songs. Before the program, Daddy & Alex got a little silly.
Then Alex decided to become a movie star!
Finally the kids came out and Riley shined. I was so proud of him. Last year he refused to sing. This year he was having a blast!
3,2,1,....Blastoff!
Gampa & Riley being silly in some of the amazing decorations of the week!
This was the story telling room.
Nana & Riley outside their classroom
Now all of us in front of the "Volunteers are Out of this World!" sign

My own little space cadet

A star is born!
Mission Control: "Praise God!"

No comments: