Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Alex's Fairy Party

My opininated daughter decided months ago that she wanted a fairy party.  This sounded like fun to me so with the help of Pinterest and a weeklong vacation I went wild planning.  I don't think I have ever spent so much time planning a party, but in the end I LOVED how it all came out.  It started with me deciding that I wanted wings and a tutu for each little girl invited.  I scoured the internet and finally decided that mom and I  could make them, but I was a little afraid that we would spend a fortune.  Then I found the jackpot, Halo Heaven.  I was able to order wings, tutu, headbands, and fairy wands for each little girl.  Then I also found black capes and plastic swords to give each of the boys.  Perfect, I didn't have to make anything and they were cheap.  We did decide to embellish Alex's skirt just a little bit to make her more special and then I ordered her tshirt from this adorable little tshirt shop called Tee with Sugar in Southlake.  
I really wanted just a fairy cake, but couldn't find one I liked that wasn't through the roof in price.  So we ordered the Tinkerbell cake from Albertson's and then my mom surprised me with adorable butterfly cupcakes to complete the look.
I got this idea off pinterest.  I took pixie sticks and tied a tag around it stating, "Thanks for making my party a "fairy" tale.
Then I made butterflies for snacks for the table.  The only bad thing was the kids didn't realize they could take and snack during the party, so most of them just went home with the kids.
As the guests arrived, they were greeted with their costumes and then sent to have their faces painted by my mom.  Again I told Mom not to worry about this, but she insisted and the kids loved it!
Plus it was something the boys could get done too. Here is my best friend's little boy dressed in his black cape getting a knight (that I think looked like a Bell Raider) painted on his face. 
Here is an upclose of Riley's.
 
In my mind, I had worried that the boys would attack the girls with their swords.  No worries, they all attacked Uncle Travis!
Then we headed outside to paint Fairy houses.  Originally I had found these small birdhouses for the kids to paint. But I couldn't find enough "castle" birdhouses for the boys to paint. I went to like every Michaels in the area, but in the process I found these larger houses on clearance for a $1.  I still had the problem of what will the boys paint.  Luckily I have serious talent in my family.  My grandfather cut shields out of wood for all the boys to paint their own shield to go with their costume.
Here was one of the shield that my friend, Jenn, just accidentally painted for her youngest son.  I think I see a Blazing Sun in the making.
After all the painting, it was time to open presents.  Alex had so much fun posing with all her friends.  Here she was with Caleb, her cousin, and one of her favorite presents, a Bride's dress.
Finally it was time for some cake!!  This year Alex had no trouble blowing out her candle and being the center of attention. 
After cake, our party friends left and our family arrived.  We opened more presents, ate barbeque sandwiches I made in the crockpot, and posed for pictures with grandparents.
Great Grandma Betty & Grandpa Bill

Papaw & Nemo

And finally Nana & Gampa. 
Next time somebody please remind me to get pics with Mama Karyn & Papaw Richard!
At least I got one with Uncle Ryan

And Aunt Kelly!

No comments: