Friday, January 30, 2009

A sad day!

My grandmother passed away around 11pm last night. I'm still trying to take it all in. It was just 2 weeks ago that she was at my house for the Smith Christmas. I can't believe she is already gone. I know she is happy up there watching all of us and catching up with my Papa and MeMe. For now I am at work, trying to make my day as normal as possible. I'm doing ok as long as I keep busy. Her funeral will probably be Monday. I am going to try to work at least half a day, because I don't have any days left to take off. Then I will get docked pay for whatever I have to take off.
As a special Memorial to Mamaw, I have decided that Alexandra and I will be wearing red shoes. My grandmother LOVED red shoes! She took me one time to buy cowboy boots. I came home with 2 pair of boots. One sensible black pair and one pair of red ropers. I loved those red ropers. So in her honor, we will wear red shoes to the funeral with my black outfit. I hope this makes her smile.
Mamaw was the first of a 3 generation tree of only children. There was just her, then just my dad, and finally just me. I broke the string when I had Alexandra. She loved to take me shopping and was at most of my events. Her & Papa were at most of my softball games. In fact I remember one day, they took me to my game because Mom was playing in a game at one field and Dad was playing in a game at another field. I have so many wonderful memories of the days when she was healthy and could really get around. Riley will probably remember riding in her walker or pushing her walker all over.
Many of you had the pleasure of knowing her over the years whether it was through church or just seeing her at birthday parties. She will be missed, but I know that she is comfortable now.

No comments: