Sunday, February 14, 2010

Snow Day, Snow Ice Cream, & First Potty

It all started Thursday morning, Feb. 11. The snow began and did not stop. It was not supposed to hit until Thursday afternoon, instead it moved in around midnight. Without thinking twice about it, the 4th grade teachers and I decided that it was pointless to try to teach complete lessons so we headed outside for some fun in the snow. Here is my class after spending about 30 minutes having snowball fights and building snowmen. Finally the snow got so bad, that the district called off school an hour early and also cancelled classes for the next day. Here was our backyard Thursday night.
Friday morning and at least 12.5 inches of snow later. I never found an exact amount for Haslet, but I know that DFW received 12.5 inches.

We did the only thing you can do on a snow day, we bundled up and headed outside!
It took Alex a while to get used to the cold and snow.
Later that morning my parents came over to join us. They had been without power for almost 12 hours and were starting to get really cold. So we headed outside a second time. This time Alex did not cry in the snow.
Alex & Mommy
This is Riley, deconstructing his snowman. Riley had never built a snowman, so we started teaching him. Unfortunately he got really upset when we rolled up enough snow to show the grass. So he grabbed the shovel and starting smashing it back down.
As a way to entice the children back into the warmth, we decided it was time to teach the kids about snow ice cream. But I don't have any pictures of it because they were taken on my dad's camera. This was both of theirs first snow ice cream and they LOVED it!

Riley gets Gandpa with a snowball!
Finally I figured out what Alex really wanted. She wanted her gloves off so that she could actually touch the snow. After we removed her gloves, she loved it and started making her own snowballs.
The last first for the day came late that afternoon. As I was getting Alex ready for her bath, she proceeded to pull up her shirt and stand by the toilet. She sees Riley hold up his shirt so that is what she thinks has to happen. Randy had encouraged me to let her try when she wanted. So I took off her diaper and put her on the toilet. I let her sit there for a moment and then I smelled something. ALEX POOPED ON THE POTTY! I was so proud. In no way, do I believe that she is potty trained or even ready, but I will certainly begin to put her on the potty more often. Who knows, it might work???

No comments: