Wednesday, September 14, 2011

First Day of First Grade

August 22 was the first day of school.  My big boy, Riley, started 1st grade this year.  This seems like such a big change.  Plus now he is on the opposite end of the building.  No more "walking" by the classroom to spy on him and see what he is up to.  I really don't have a reason to be down at that end of the building very often.
Then I had to take a close up of the mouth because the Monday before school started he lost another tooth.  I dropped him off at the babysitters for MY first day back at work.  When I dropped him off I didn't even know he had a loose tooth.  Then I picked him up and he has another hole in his mouth and a tooth in a baggie.  I was so surprised and Tracey, our caregiver, was excited because Riley let HER pull his teeth. Did I mention how much I love this woman???
Riley with his amazing teacher, Mrs. Ogle.  One of the few perks of being a teacher is that I get to hand pick my children's teachers.  I knew Christa was an amazing teacher who really excels in teaching kids to read.  That was exactly what Riley needed!  Not to mention the crazy hours she puts in.  Did I mention that we drove by the school at 9pm on the Friday night before school started and she was still there working, by herself, in a really big and really dark building??
The first day could not have gone better.  Riley absolutely loves first grade.  He did crack me up though.  When I asked him what was the best part about first grade?  The desks!!  In Kindergarten they all shared a tables.  So now he has his own personal space to leave a mess.

Mommy and Riley both dressed up for the first day of school.
I also had a great first day.  I started my year with 24 4th graders.  That is 4 more students than I had last year in my class and let me tell you that makes a HUGE difference.  Not to mention that when you consider I have 2 classes of 24 that makes 8 more papers to grade than last year.  Every thing we do takes a little longer and it is a neverending line coming down the hall. We have now hired a new teacher and will soon be parting with 4 of our precious students that I have grown really attached to. I don't want 24 students, but I don't want to lose any either! :(

No comments: