Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Alex's Baptism

Since I got home from camp last week, I have not stopped running. It all started with Alexandra's baptism on Sunday. We had about 15 family & friends there on Sunday morning. It is so special to know that you are setting your child up for a lifetime of learning and growing as God's child. I was a little disappointed, though. I did not know until the last minute that we would be sharing our baptism with another family, who was baptising 2 children. I was not very happy with it. My minister asked if we could just have the parents come up since we were baptizing 3 children. I simply told him NO, that my parents would be devastated if I told them they could not come up to the front. When we had Riley baptized, they wouldn't let us bring the whole family because they had all the poinsettias set up for Christmas. So, I purposely scheduled this when there would not be all the flowers. Needless to say, I was a bit irritated, but I stood my ground. The service went wonderfully and she did not cry when Dr. Mike McKee took her from us. Even more amazing was how well both of kids did during the rest of the service. I guess they knew we were at the front of the church and all eyes were on us.
After church we went back to my parent's house to enjoy some Shady Oaks Barbeque. YUM! The weather was beautiful and everything was going perfect, until we gave Alex some homemade ice cream. Now I know that she is not "supposed" to have eggs or milk until she is one. But she was making the funniest faces with each bite of the cold ice cream. About 15 minutes after she finished her ice cream, she broke out in horrible hives all over her face, arms, and back! YIKES! We called the nurse on call and started rubbing hydrocortisone on all the affected areas. Then Teresa raced off to the drug store to buy some children's Benadryl. It turns out that they do NOT recommendend this for any child under 20lbs and 1 year old. My Aunt Jeanne mentioned that they had given Caleb, Alex's cousin that is only 6 weeks older, some Benadryl. So we called my cousin Jamie to check the dosage. My cousin Jamie is SUPER cautious about what she gives Caleb, so I knew that if she had given him the medicine that it would be ok. We gave her a small amount and all the reaction went away. Now I am just left wondering, is she allergic to eggs, milk, or sugar??? I don't think I like where this is headed!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Yeah, your kids knew that all eyes were on Jacob who wanted to sit in the aisle and talk in his loud voice throughout the service! LOL It was a special day. I glad we got to share it.