Monday, May 30, 2011

Kindergarten Program

              Friday morning was Riley's kindergarten program.  I can hardly believe my little boy is about to be in first grade.  This year has just flown by.  I know all parents say it, but it truly seems like just yesterday that he was that little 5lbs 7oz baby that fit in the palm of my hand.  Now he is this tall, handsome little boy who is learning to read and fascinated with the world around him. 
   Thursday night as I was preparing everyone clothes for the next morning, I asked Riley how he was supposed to dress for the program.  He looked at me seriously and answered, "handome!"  Love it!  Well I decided on one of his new pair of shorts with a brown polo shirt.  I could have dressed him in his church pants, but frankly they are all getting a little short and don't look too good.  Plus I didn't want him to have to change clothes the next day.  Friday morning, Michelle Rayburn was going to cover my class, but I was still worried about finding somewhere to sit.  I remember last year the parents lined up around the outside of the school and the cafeteria being packed.  So I told my parents to get there early.  They got there really early.  I think they got to school about 8:00am for the 9:00 program.  That would have been great, except that I forgot that I had purchased front row seats at the carnival.  So my parents got there super early to already have saved seats.  Oh well!!  Now the cafeteria was packed by showtime, but not at 8:00am. 
Riley's class performed, "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head!"  It was so cute!  I did just fine during that song.  Then at the end, all the classes, sang, "Its a Wonderful World."  That made me cry.  It was the line about how they were just babies and now growing and learning just reminded me of how much he has changed and grown.
After the program, each class went back to their homeroom and received their certificates marking the end of Kindergarten. 
Riley with his fabulous teacher, Mrs. Adams.  He absolutely loves her!
Mrs. Adams' Kindergarten Class 2010-2011
I had planned to have Riley stay in school after the program, but then I quickly realized that almost all the kids were going home.  Luckily Randy didn't have any big plans for the day since he had taken off for the program, so Riley spent the day with daddy.  I'm glad he went home because it ended up there were only 19 kindergarteners left after 6 classes worth of kids went home.  Mrs. Adams originally only had 1 but 2 girls felt sorry for her, so they stayed behind to keep her company. 
Plus Riley had a great day with daddy.  They had lunch at Wendy's, complete with a frosty, went to the parts store, picked up Alex, went to get sno-cones, Kroger for dinner preparations, and then home to play on the swingset.  A great day for everyone!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I just can't believe how big he is!! Congrats Riley!