Monday, January 11, 2010

Mom's surgery & a little funny moment

Up until last night, I could not bring myself to blog about my mom's surgery. I told one of the girls at work, that I just did not have it in me to say anything nice. I was starting to feel sorry for myself and focusing on all the loss of 2009. Outwardly I think I have done a good job of always being positive with mom and talking about how great she is going to feel afterward, but on the inside I was screaming, "This is my MOM!" Do you understand that I talk to her everyday and truly do not know what I would do without her? Let me back up for anyone not in the know. Tomorrow my mom is having bypass surgery x 5. I don't even know what to call that many.
Anyway so in all of my pity, I found the light at the end that made me smile and reminded me that everything was going to be alright. My parents have the most amazing group of friends. They go to dinner every Friday night, most Sundays after church, and play Bunco once a month. On top of all that most of the group is who they went on a cruise with last year and then proceeded to cruise Alaska with this year. They are so supportive, and always there for each other. Yesterday, like most Sundays, they all went to lunch together. During lunch mom was discussing her dilemma of still having Christmas stuff up and surgery on Tuesday. There is a perfectly good reason that mom still had her Christmas stuff up! We were supposed to have the Smith extended family Christmas last weekend so they intentionally left it all up. The group offered to come help. For once, Dad knew that he had to step in and get help. So he told them to show up at 4. He sent mom home to first get a nap and then about 6 of them showed up to help. In two hours, they had all the Christmas done, put away, and returned to the attic. What an amazing feat. My mom DECORATES! This would have taken her days with the way she has been feeling and now it is all down. Hallelujah!
Now if I had been my friend Chelsea I would have had photos to document all this hard work. I don't and I didn't even know it was happening until it was all done, but I am so happy for my parents.
All this said, please say a little prayer for my mom & dad. Mom needs a prayer that everything goes smoothly and she can feel better. Dad needs the prayers as he starts the process of her recovery and taking care of her for the next few weeks. We have to keep her from doing any lifting, especially Alex for 8 weeks! That is going to seem like an eternity!
Now an update on the kids. Both kids are recovering well from their bout of sickness. Alex still hates the breathing treatments but at least we are down to every other day. I finally returned the kleenex box to the bathroom and not the bedside table for Riley. Just a few more days of antibiotics and all be well.
Most of the time, Riley speaks very eloquently. He even uses big words properly. So when he doesn't it cracks me up. The other day he asked for "mum mums." I wasn't sure at first and then I realized that mum mums were M&Ms. Too cute.

1 comment:

ChelseaSalomone said...

I'm proud of you for sharing. Very honest and well put. I will be thinking about your whole family tomorrow, but especially you and your mom. My offer still stands- if you need to talk, need to cry, need anything at all I'm here. I know how this type of thing sucks :)

(And things for the photo plug, ha!!)