Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Poor Mickey

I haven't blogged in FOREVER, so let's see if I can try to catch up on a few of the major events in our life.      
    About a month ago, Randy & I came home from work to find Mickey off his leash and his leash and collar wrapped around the swingset.  That is so not like Mickey.  He never gets off his leash and has only got wrapped up in the swingset once and not wrapped around it multiple times.  Then we noticed that Mickey was really sore on one side of the body.  We just thought it was from rubbing up against the swingset.  Then several days later, we noticed Mickey had a raw spot on his side.  Over the week it grew.  We started to notice his hair falling out around the spot, but again we thought he was biting at it.  Finally it got where the skin was looking infected, so on Friday afternoon I took Mickey & the 2 kids to the vet.  Of course, Randy was out of town (because that is the way fate has it).  Mickey was being real sensitive about the spot, so they decided to sedate him in order to clean the area.
    About 10 minutes later, the nurse came out to ask if we had poured any medication on him.  I assured her that we had not.  Finally the dr came out to warn me that it was much worse than expected and that they had to shave most of his back.  I was totally not prepared to see this!!
Apparantly my dog was the victim of animal cruelty.  Somebody had poured some chemical all over his back.  Because he has so much fur, I had no idea.  I felt horrible that I had not taken him to the vet sooner, but had no idea!  Not to mention furious at the probable kid that also cost me $300 and the time to try to give my dog medicine 2x's a day for 21 days.  (Not an easy task!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Mickey!! He's an old man, who would be so mean!? That's awful April, so sorry to hear that. That kid ought to be beaten.

-Rachel

ChristyA said...

poor mickey. i hope he is feeling better. do you know who did it???